Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Fresh Tomato Salsa

Tomatoes are in abundance this time of year and I've made salsa several times already for tacos and nachos! I roughly chop 8-10 tomatoes and toss them in a large bowl, then add 1 large chopped onion and chopped chillies with the seeds removed, and some chopped fresh cilantro. Add to the bowl: the juice of two limes and about a teaspoon of salt. I use Maldon, a sea salt that I like so much I rarely use anything else. I like my salsa medium hot so I add two milder chillies and usually one jabanero (a chili that is on the hotter side) If you like hotter - then you'll want to spice it up by adding more. Next I toss the ingredients together in the big bowl. I pulse the ingredients in my food processor until the mixture is blended and the consistency I like (still a little chunky). Just be careful not to over process or you'll end up with a spicy tomato juice. At this point I strain some of the liquid out as summer tomatoes are pretty juicy! Save the strained tomato juice! If you are making tacos you can add it to your ground meat instead of water when you're adding your taco seasoning! I freeze the rest of the strained juice in small freezer containers to have on hand for another day! It would also make some excellent Bloody Mary's I would think!

No comments:

Post a Comment