Sunday, January 16, 2011

Creamy buttery soft polenta!

I wanted to make Creamy Polenta with a mushroom ragut and a marinara sauce. I googled Creamy Polenta and found some recipes that included ingredients that I didn't have on hand like cream and cream cheese. All I really wanted to make was a simple creamy polenta - buttery and with parmesan cheese.I found a simple recipe that looked like what I had in mind. I poured a can of Swanson's chicken broth  (Swanson's is my favorite) into a medium size sauce pan and added enough water to make a total of 4 cups water.Once I got it boiling, I added 1 cup polenta, stirring as I poured it in to prevent lumps. When the polenta was stirred in I covered the pan and lowered the heat to low for 10 minutes. When the timer went off I removed the pan from the heat and stirred in 2 Tablespoons butter and 1/2 cup grated parmesan.Voila!
Creamy buttery polenta!
While the polenta was simmering, I sauteed the 1 cup sliced crimini mushrooms in a little butter and olive oil, added some red wine-maybe a quarter cup and a pinch of Maldon salt. I let the mushrooms cook over medium heat, letting the liquid absorb until the mushrooms carmelized into a nice brown color!
I ladled a little marina sauce into a bowl, followed by the polenta and topped with the "mushroom ragut". Polenta makes a great side dish and is really versatile.

No comments:

Post a Comment