Thursday, March 10, 2011

Lemon Marmalade (Sunshine in a Jar)


My good friend, Allison gave me the most wonderful  lemon marmalade last year. She called it "sunshine in a jar". It is especially fresh and tart tasting with scarcely any bitterness. When Allison gave me a grocery bag full of meyer lemons this year I decided to try my hand at her wonderful marmalade and she was kind enough to share the recipe. She got it from an old Sunset canning book.
Lemon Marmalade

About 11 medium sized lemons
1/2 cup water
6 cups sugar
3 oz liquid fruit pectin (Ball makes a box that contains two-3 oz. pouches)

Use a small sharp knife to slice off all the thin outer yellow peel from lemons; cut the peel into slivers. (I used a zester I used to remove the peel.  The zester made lovely long thin strands of lemon peel which I sliced  into smaller sections). Then ream the juice from the lemons. You should have 1 3/4 cups peel and 2 cups lemon juice. Combine the peel, water, and 1/2 cup of the lemon juice in a 3-quart or larger saucepan. Bring to boiling; then cover and simmer until peel is tender when pierced (about 25 minutes)
Add remaining lemon juice and sugar to the pan; cook, stirring, until sugar dissolves. Then turn heat high and bring to a full rolling boil. Remove from heat, cover, and let stand at room temperature for 18-24 hours.

Here is a link to Ball's website which has wonderful easy to follow tutorials. You'll want to prepare your jars and lids etc before you start the next step.
http://www.freshpreserving.com/
Prepare 6 half pint jars and lids for canning process.
Rapidly return marmalade to boiling, stirring to prevent sticking. Stir in the pectin and boil stirring constantly for exactly 1 minute. Quickly skim off any foam that forms. Fill jars to within 1/8 inch of top. Makes 4 half pints. (I made this 3 times and always got 6 half pints each time, which made me very happy!)
I do not have a larger canner anymore-I used a round rack that fit right inside my largest pot. I also used short canning jars so I could give the jars the required water bath and keep the water level two inches above the jars during the water bath process for 10 minutes).


No comments:

Post a Comment